Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Big Ag vs. Water Quality

“There’s a growing public fight brewing over industrial agriculture’s water pollution,” says Donald Carr in the Huffington Post, June 19, 2016, under the caption, “Ag Lobby Paints Itself Into a Conservation Corner.” 


More clips:

“In all of these instances the Grand Ole Farm Lobby ™ has reacted with the well-worn message of voluntary conservation as the only solution.”

“The sad reality of voluntary conservation is that it is demonstrably not working.”

“It’s not working in Toledo, Des Moines, Minnesota, the Chesapeake Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. It’s not working despite U.S. taxpayers subsidizing agriculture conservation measures nationally $39 billion

“... [I]f the ultimate goal is clean water and agriculture productivity, then the ag lobby is going to have to fight hard and loud for conservation funding … Otherwise, regulation is inevitable.” 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/donald-carr/ag-lobby-paints-itself-in_b_7313800.html

1 comment:

  1. Hoosier wrote me, “I just read the article. I sure do not agree with the last para if I read it right. Why should we pay farmers to do what they should be doing in the first place. Next we will be paying drivers to obey the speed limit so they can make more money on the job. Or pay kids to get out of bed and go to school so they can learn. I hate this give me, give me attitude that seems to affect our country.” -- JL

    ReplyDelete